Monday, February 2, 2009

cwm



I've played Yahoo! Games Word Racer for over ten years!

The game is a real-time 1-8 player online word game. The first round of four is similar to Parker Brothers' Boggle except that each player types words as quickly as possible into the submission box.

The first player to find each word gets the score for it.
Rounds 2-4 offer different letter layouts and multiplier letters and I once scored 1140 points for the word 'fellation' in the 4th round with double and triple word score tiles! I almost fell out of my chair.

My record at the time of this post is:
Rating: 2244
Games Completed: 2810
1st: 1497
Ladder Rung: #792

The Ladder ranking came from tournament play years before Yahoo! launched its All Star subscription feature.

One of my favorite ways to play is a variation called "5s" where players (usually at a private, strict scored table) all agree to enter words 5 letter in length or longer. Another fun variation is "3s" where players only the THREE best words they can find per round.

When playing with players ranked at less than 1800, I usually self-handicap by quietly playing 5s, allowing the other players to scramble for the shorter words.

You'd never know how many 3-letter words there are! My favorite by far is 'cwm'. It's also a place in the United Kingdom, Cwm, Clwyd.

No comments: