Friday, January 9, 2009

Atari 2600 recording studio



I used to spend a lot of time in the bathroom listening to my recorded Atari 2600 performances. I would record marathon sessions of Missile Command, Asteroids, and Cosmic Ark onto may tape cassette recorder, then play them back. My particular tape player had an unintentional feature whereby you could hold down the play button halfway and cause the tape to play at high speeds. This is how I passed the time on the pot.

My dad introduced me to a wide range of music in 5th grade and I distinctly remember listening to these albums on the turntable (not in the bathroom):

Foreigner - Double Vision
Chuck Mangione - Fun And Games
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club

At the time, I attended Buckner Elementary and was part of the chorus - the "Buckner Beats". We each wore blue jeans, long-sleeved red-and-white-checked collar shirts, and a white open vest with a red eighth note stuck on the front.

For the Christmas concert, I had the distinct honor of singing the introduction to "Silver Bells" alone. Afterwards, I'd step back into the bleachers and the rest of the choir joined into the song:

Christmas makes you feel emotional.
It may bring parties or thoughts devotional.

Whatever happens or what may be,
Here is what Christmas time means to me.

I recorded myself singing this intro and the rest of the song on the cassette player. Yes, I did listen to the recording in the bathroom, and yes, at high-speed.

No comments: